Detroit River (Bar Point Shoal) Light

1885

LAKE ERIE LIGHTS

USCG PHOTO

HOME

This was first called Bar Point Shoal because a Lightship was established on the shoal in 1875.

LOCATION: South of Detroit River Entrance, W end of Lake Erie

CURRENT TOWER LIT: 1885

CURRENT USE: Active aid to navigation

AUTOMATED: 1979

FOUNDATION MATERIALS: Granite Pier & Wood/Cement Crib

LIGHTHOUSE MATERIALS: Cast iron plate/brick lining

TOWER SHAPE: Cylindrical --- 49 feet tall

COLOR(S)/MARKINGS/PATTERN: Lower part and house are white and upper part/lantern is black

ORIGINAL LENS: Fourth Order, Fresnel

NEAT CHARACTERISTICS: When this light was first built, few lake boats could be found that were longer than 300 feet and mariners looked up at the light. Now boats over 1000 feet in length pass this light, and the occupants actually look down at the light.