Monroe Light / Monroe Pierhead Light

1829 / 1849

LAKE ERIE LIGHTS

USCG PHOTO
(this is the 1885 light)

HOME

There is very little information to be found, but what is below is actually for a third light built at this location. The original 1829 light was a masonry tower, and the 1849 light was an octogonal, wooden tower built 4 miles North of the original because Monroe Harbor was moved in 1843.

LOCATION: On the N Pier at entrance to the River Raisin, W end of Lake Erie

CURRENT TOWER LIT: 1885

CURRENT USE: This light is no longer standing

AUTOMATED: No

DEACTIVATED: 1916

FOUNDATION MATERIALS: Concrete Pier

LIGHTHOUSE MATERIALS: Wood with metal lantern

TOWER SHAPE: Square integral --- 40 feet tall

COLOR(S)/MARKINGS/PATTERN: House and tower are white with black trim and lantern is black

ORIGINAL LENS: Fourth Order, Fresnel 1829

NEAT CHARACTERISTICS: As evidenced by the USCG picture, the third light was beautifully constructed with lattice work in the trim.