Alpena Light

1877

LAKE HURON LIGHTS

USCG PHOTO 1
(Original Wooden Structure)
USCG PHOTO 2
(Current Structure)

LIGHTHOUSES OF MICHIGAN

This light resembles the Russian space satellite, so it's been nicknamed "Sputnik" by the people of Alpena --- it is believed to be the only lighthouse of this type in the United States.

LOCATION: Mouth of Thunder Bay River, West side of Lake Huron

CURRENT TOWER LIT: 1914

CURRENT USE: Active aid to navigation

AUTOMATED: 1974

DEACTIVATED: The light station was closed from 1911 - 1920.

FOUNDATION MATERIALS:
Original --- crib / Current --- breakwater

LIGHTHOUSE MATERIALS:
Original --- wood / Current --- cast iron

TOWER SHAPE: Skeletal tower, upper part enclosed --- 80 ft. tall

COLOR(S)/MARKINGS/PATTERN: Original --- white / Current --- red

ORIGINAL LENS: Original --- Fourth Order, Fresnel / Current --- 190mm plastic lens

NEAT CHARACTERISTICS: This station was built of wood in 1877 and rebuilt of wood again in 1888; it wasn't until 1914 that the current steel structure was constructed.