Bois Blanc Island Light

1829

LAKE HURON LIGHTS

USCG PHOTO

LIGHTHOUSES OF MICHIGAN

This light was the second lighthouse on Lake Huron --- the first was Fort Gratiot.

LOCATION: NE end of Bois Blanc Island, Straits of Mackinac, NW Lake Huron

CURRENT TOWER LIT: 1867

CURRENT USE: Privately owned --- sold by the USCG in 1956

AUTOMATED: Unknown

DEACTIVATED: 1942 --- replaced by an automatic light on a skeletal steel frame near the edge of the water.

FOUNDATION MATERIALS: Emplaced

LIGHTHOUSE MATERIALS: Yellow brick

TOWER SHAPE: Square --- 35 ft. tall

COLOR(S)/MARKINGS/PATTERN: Natural with white lantern

ORIGINAL LENS: Fourth Order, Fresnel 1867

NEAT CHARACTERISTICS: Reefs & Bois Blanc Island east of the Straits were dangerous, so the merchants of Michilimackinac petitioned Congress for a light in this area.  On May 23, 1828, Congress approved $5,000 to build a lighthouse on the Bois Blanc Island