Charity Island Light

1857

LAKE HURON LIGHTS

Arenac County Historical
Society Photo 1

(circa 1892)
Arenac County Historical
Society Photo 2

(1935)

LIGHTHOUSES OF MICHIGAN

This site became one of the earliest examples of automation when an acetylene lamp replaced the kerosene one.

LOCATION: NW tip of Big Charity Island, North side of approach to Saginaw Bay, West side of Lake Huron

CURRENT TOWER LIT: 1857

CURRENT USE: Privately owned since 1963 and left to suffer the affects of erosion caused by exposure to the elements --- the keeper's house was torn-down in the Spring of 2003, and a new structure was built on the same location

AUTOMATED: No

DEACTIVATED: 1939 --- replaced by the Gravelly Shoal Light

FOUNDATION MATERIALS: Emplaced

LIGHTHOUSE MATERIALS: Brick

TOWER SHAPE: Conical attached --- 39 ft. tall

COLOR(S)/MARKINGS/PATTERN: White with black lantern

ORIGINAL LENS: Fourth Order, Fresnel (per 1858 Lighthouse Board Light List)

NEAT CHARACTERISTICS: The Fish and Wildlife Service wanted to make a tourist attraction out of this 280 acre island by reconstructing the lighthouse and establishing boat tours from Tawas City.  However, Congress failed to adequately fund the project, and the State of Michigan backed out as well.  So the Arenac County Historical Society has begun fundraising efforts in conjunction with the Heritage Route Committee to proceed with this Lighthouse project. 
You can contact them at:  Arenac County Historical Society, Charity Island Preservation Committee, P.O. Box 272, Au Gres, MI 48703, 989-876-6399.