Cheboygan Main Light

1851

LAKE HURON LIGHTS

USCG PHOTO

LIGHTHOUSES OF MICHIGAN

The port of Cheboygan was once important, as Michigan's lumber products were shipped through this small port to markets in the East during the mid-19th Century. 
This was one of the first light stations on the Great Lakes to be originally equipped with a Fresnel lens.

LOCATION: Eastern Point of Duncan Bay (now known as Lighthouse Point), NW Lake Huron

CURRENT TOWER LIT: 1859

CURRENT USE: Only the ruins remain in Cheboygan State Park

AUTOMATED: Unknown

DEACTIVATED: 1930 --- no longer needed with Old Mackinaw Point Light and other lights to better mark the Straits of Mackinaw, as well as Fourteen Foot Shoal Light to mark the Cheyboygan River

FOUNDATION MATERIALS: Emplaced

LIGHTHOUSE MATERIALS: Brick / Wood

TOWER SHAPE: Circular tower  with detached keeper's dwelling (1851) --- 40 ft. tall / Square, integral tower with octagonal lantern room (1859) --- 36 ft. tall

COLOR(S)/MARKINGS/PATTERN: White

ORIGINAL LENS: Fifth Order, Fresnel

NEAT CHARACTERISTICS: The first structure here fell into disrepair and was torn down in 1859, just eight years after it was completed. Another light was built that same year and was similar in design to a lighthouse later built at Port Washington.