De Tour Reef Light

1847

LAKE HURON LIGHTS

USCG PHOTO
(1931 Light on Reef)

LIGHTHOUSES OF MICHIGAN

DeTour originally had a light station on the mainland.  It was a white, iron-pile skeleton tower --- the information below is for the light put on the reef in 1931.

LOCATION: On outer end of reef, West side of St. Marys River mouth, North side of Lake Huron

CURRENT TOWER LIT: 1931

CURRENT USE: Active aid to navigation

AUTOMATED: 1974

FOUNDATION MATERIALS: Crib

LIGHTHOUSE MATERIALS: Reinforced concrete / Steel

TOWER SHAPE: Square --- 63 ft. tall

COLOR(S)/MARKINGS/PATTERN: White

ORIGINAL LENS: Three and one-half Order, Fresnel

NEAT CHARACTERISTICS: Original 1847 skeletal tower on land had a Fourth Order, Fresnel (per 1858 Light List) and the 1861 skeletal tower on land had a Third Order, Fresnel (per 1893 Light List).