Forty Mile Point Light

1897

LAKE HURON LIGHTS

USCG PHOTO

LIGHTHOUSES OF MICHIGAN

In 1894 construction began on a light to mark the 50 miles of dangerous, unlit waters between Presque Isle and Cheboygan.

LOCATION: On mainland at P.H. Hoeft State Park, NW end of Lake Huron

CURRENT TOWER LIT: 1935

CURRENT USE: Active aid to navigation

AUTOMATED: 1969

FOUNDATION MATERIALS: Wood Pilings

LIGHTHOUSE MATERIALS: Brick

TOWER SHAPE: Square, attached --- 52 ft. tall

COLOR(S)/MARKINGS/PATTERN: White with black lantern

ORIGINAL LENS: Fourth Order, Fresnel

NEAT CHARACTERISTICS: The original Fourth Order, Fresnel Lens had six bull's-eye panels and was manufactured by Sautter of Paris; however, another Fourth Order, Fresnel Lens manufactured by Henri Le Paute is now in use there.