Harbor Beach Light

1858

LAKE HURON LIGHTS

USCG PHOTO

LIGHTHOUSES OF MICHIGAN

This light was originally called Sand Beach.
Because this was a major port of refuge prior to the 1900's, the US Army Corp of Engineers completed a $1 million harbor project in 1885.  This made Harbor Beach home to one of the most active lifesaving crews on Lake Huron.

LOCATION: On pierhead at Sand Beach, North side of entrance, South end of Lake Huron

CURRENT TOWER LIT: 1885

CURRENT USE: Active aid to navigation

AUTOMATED: 1968

FOUNDATION MATERIALS: Timber Crib

LIGHTHOUSE MATERIALS: Cast iron with brick lining

TOWER SHAPE: Cylindrical integral--- 45 ft. tall

COLOR(S)/MARKINGS/PATTERN: Brown

ORIGINAL LENS: Fourth Order, Fresnel (w/ the inscription "Barbier & Fenestre, Constructeurs, Paris, 1884")

NEAT CHARACTERISTICS: The 1885 tower is nearly identical to the one at Detroit Harbor which was completed in the same year.  This port is no longer a harbor of refuge, but the light remains active and was placed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1983. Its Fourth Order, Fresnel Lens was given to the local Harbor Beach Historical Society in 1986.