Presque Isle Light (New)

1870

LAKE HURON LIGHTS

USCG PHOTO

LIGHTHOUSES OF MICHIGAN

This light played a role in the expansion of shipping and passenger travel on the Great Lakes, as well as the subsequent development of the northern counties of Michigan's Lower Peninsula.

LOCATION: One mile South of Old Presque Isle Light, West side of Lake Huron

CURRENT TOWER LIT: 1871

CURRENT USE: Active aid to navigation

The USCG opens the tower to the public on the Saturdays of the 4th of July and Labor Day weekends.  There is also a museum that is open mid-May through October, seven days a week, 9am-6pm.

AUTOMATED: 1970

FOUNDATION MATERIALS: Brick

LIGHTHOUSE MATERIALS: Brick

TOWER SHAPE: Conical --- 113 ft. tall
(This light is the tallest on the Great Lakes.)

COLOR(S)/MARKINGS/PATTERN: White with forest green trim

ORIGINAL LENS: Third Order, Fresnel 1870

NEAT CHARACTERISTICS: The original Fresnel lens is still in this tower, but now operates with a 1000-watt lamp with 40,000 candlepower and has a 360 degree arc of visibility.  The light also utilizes the original polygonal lantern which is 8 feet in diameter and has 10 rectangular glass panes.