Old Mackinac Point Light

1890

LAKE HURON LIGHTS

USCG PHOTO

LIGHTHOUSES OF MICHIGAN

The Straits of Mackinac was a critical passage in the Great Lakes system, but was laden with many islands, shoals, and reefs.  So, this light was built because navigators approaching from the east could not see McGulpins Point Light when trying to pass through the Straits from Lake Huron to Lake Michigan.

LOCATION: At SE foot of Mackinac Bridge, Straits of Mackinac, NW end of Lake Huron

CURRENT TOWER LIT: 1892

CURRENT USE: Ownership and restoration by the Mackinac State Historical Parks --- open for tours June-August

AUTOMATED: Yes

DEACTIVATED: 1957 --- replaced by string of lights 552 ft. above the water on the newly completed Mackinac Bridge

FOUNDATION MATERIALS: Stone

LIGHTHOUSE MATERIALS: Brick

TOWER SHAPE: Cylindrical --- 50 ft. tall

COLOR(S)/MARKINGS/PATTERN: Buff with red roof on lantern

ORIGINAL LENS: Fourth Order, Fresnel 1892

NEAT CHARACTERISTICS: Attention was paid to style when this lighthouse was designed and its most impressive feature is the large, square two-story tower on the north side with a top like a medieval fortress.  Also, the two-story attached residence had separate living quarters for the keeper and assistant keeper's families.