Presque Isle Light (Old)

1840

LAKE HURON LIGHTS

No USCG photo available

LIGHTHOUSES OF MICHIGAN

Presque Isle is French for "almost an island" and this small peninsula was a harbor of refuge for mariners between Port Huron and Michilimackinac.

LOCATION: South point of Presque Isle Peninsula, West side of Lake Huron

CURRENT TOWER LIT: 1840

CURRENT USE: Privately owned since 1897

The tower and keeper's quarters which house a museum are open mid-May through October, seven days a week, 9am-6pm.

AUTOMATED: No

DEACTIVATED: 1871 --- replaced with the New Presque Isle Light, one mile South of this one.

FOUNDATION MATERIALS: Dressed stone / Timber

LIGHTHOUSE MATERIALS: Bottom 2/3 --- rubble stone / upper 1/3 --- brick

TOWER SHAPE: Bottom 2/3 is Conical and top 1/3 is Circular --- 30 ft. tall

COLOR(S)/MARKINGS/PATTERN: White with black lantern

ORIGINAL LENS: Third Order, Fresnel 1840

NEAT CHARACTERISTICS: One unusual feature of this light tower is the hand-chiseled stone staircase that winds 30 ft. up to the lantern room.  The lantern room is not the original, but came from the South Fox Island Lighthouse as part of a preservation project in the late 1950's.