Port Sanilac Light

1886

LAKE HURON LIGHTS

USCG PHOTO

LIGHTHOUSES OF MICHIGAN

As an important link in the 300 mile chain of navigational lights guiding ships along Michigan's eastern shores, this light was the first one mariners saw as they entered Lake Huron from the St. Clair river.

LOCATION: In city, on Point Sanilac, South end of Lake Huron

CURRENT TOWER LIT: 20 October 1886

CURRENT USE: Active aid to navigation

The keeper's dwelling was sold and is now a private residence.

AUTOMATED: Yes

FOUNDATION MATERIALS: Dressed Stone / Timber

LIGHTHOUSE MATERIALS: Brick

TOWER SHAPE: Octagonal hourglass, attached --- 69 ft. tall

COLOR(S)/MARKINGS/PATTERN: White with red roof

ORIGINAL LENS: Fourth Order, Fresnel 1886

NEAT CHARACTERISTICS: This 8-sided tower has a diameter of 14 feet at the base and tapers to a diameter of 9 feet at the parapet.  The Fresnel lens manufactured by Barbier & Fenestre of Paris had 9 fixed panels and a brass reflector that created an arc of illumination of 300 degress.