Presque Isle Harbor Rear Range Light

1870

LAKE HURON LIGHTS

USCG PHOTO

LIGHTHOUSES OF MICHIGAN

Congress appropriated $7,500 in 1869 for the construction of range lights to mark the channel into Presque Isle Harbor because the 1840 Presque Isle tower was not adequate enought to do the job.

LOCATION: West shore of Presque Isle harbor, 1000 ft. from front range light, West side of Lake Huron

CURRENT TOWER LIT: 1870

CURRENT USE: A private residence

AUTOMATED: No

DEACTIVATED: 1926 --- replaced by an automatic light on a skeletal steel frame near the edge of the water.

FOUNDATION MATERIALS: Emplaced

LIGHTHOUSE MATERIALS: Wood

TOWER SHAPE: Square integral --- 25 ft. tall

COLOR(S)/MARKINGS/PATTERN: White with green trim

ORIGINAL LENS: Lens Lantern