Tawas Point (Ottawa Point) Light

1853

LAKE HURON LIGHTS

USCG PHOTO

LIGHTHOUSES OF MICHIGAN

The first tower at Ottawa Point (as it was called until the turn of the 20th century) was only useful until the 1870's because the changing shoreline moved it more than a mile from the water.  Congress approved funds and another tower was built closer to the bay in 1876.

LOCATION: Tip of Tawas Point (Ottawa Point), North side of Saginaw Bay, West side of Lake Huron

CURRENT TOWER LIT: 1876

CURRENT USE: Active aid to navigation

AUTOMATED: Yes

FOUNDATION MATERIALS: Dressed Stone / Timber

LIGHTHOUSE MATERIALS: Brick

TOWER SHAPE: Conical attached --- 70 ft. tall

COLOR(S)/MARKINGS/PATTERN: White

ORIGINAL LENS: Fixed Fourth Order, Fresnel / now has a rotating Fourth Order, Fresnel bearing the inscription "Barbier & Fenestre, Paris, 1880"

NEAT CHARACTERISTICS: This light now serves as a residence to a high ranking Coast Guard Officer.   During the summer months, the tower is open to the public and tours are conducted by the Coast Guard Auxiliary.