Big Sable Point (Grande Pointe Au Sable) Light

1867

LAKE MICHIGAN LIGHTS

USCG PHOTO

HOME

This light was originally called Grande Pointe Au Sable and later shortened to Big Sable and is the last Michigan beacon seen by ships heading South towards Chicago and the first in view by ships going North.

LOCATION: On Grand Pointe au Sable (Big Sable Point), at Ludington State Park, E side of Lake Michigan

CURRENT TOWER LIT: 1867

CURRENT USE: Active aid to navigation

AUTOMATED: 1968

FOUNDATION MATERIALS: Wood pilings

LIGHTHOUSE MATERIALS: Brick encased in iron plate

TOWER SHAPE: Conical --- 107ft. tall

COLOR(S)/MARKINGS/PATTERN: Originally was yellow / Now is white and black

ORIGINAL LENS: Third Order, Fresnel 1867 --- now on display at Rose Hawley Museum in Ludington

NEAT CHARACTERISTICS: In the 1970's a "D-9" pole light was constructed to replace the tower which was losing ground to erosion. The Big Sable Point Lighthouse Association stepped in to save the light, and now the "D-9" light cannot be used because the operational Big Sable Light blocks its view.  This light is sometimes open to the public and a schedule can be obtained by contacting the Big Sable Lighthouse Association, P.O. Box 673, Ludington, MI 49431