Charlevoix South Pier Light

1885 on North Pier / 1914 moved to South Pier

LAKE MICHIGAN LIGHTS

USCG PHOTO
(South Pier)

Library of Congress PHOTO 1
Library of Congress PHOTO 2
(both are on the North Pier)

HOME

This light was originally located on the North Pier until 1914 when it was moved to the South Pier.

LOCATION: At Charlevoix Channel to Round Lake, NE end of Lake Michigan

CURRENT TOWER LIT: 1948

CURRENT USE: Active aid to navigation

AUTOMATED: Yes

FOUNDATION MATERIALS: Pier

LIGHTHOUSE MATERIALS: Original tower: wood / current tower: steel

TOWER SHAPE: Skeletal --- 36 ft. tall

COLOR(S)/MARKINGS/PATTERN: Original tower was red; it was painted white when moved to the South Pier and current tower is white

ORIGINAL LENS: Lens Lantern, 1885 / Fifth Order, Fresnel 1948