Grand Haven South Pierhead Lights

1839 original land light / 1875 outer pier light / 1905 inner pier light

LAKE MICHIGAN LIGHTS

USCG PHOTO 1
USCG PHOTO 2

HOME

This station was first known as the Grand River Light and was located on the south side of the river. It was replaced in 1855 by a structure built on the high bluff east of the shore. In 1875 a structure was placed on the end of the south pier and use of the land bluff light discontinued in 1895. And the original conical land light was moved and rebuilt on the inner part of the pier in 1905.

LOCATION: Outer end of S pier, S shore of Grand River, E side of Lake Michigan

CURRENT TOWER LIT: outer --- 1875 / inner --- 1905

CURRENT USE: Active aid to navigation

AUTOMATED: 1969

DEACTIVATED: The use of the second light on the bluff was discontinued in 1895, but its demise is unknown.

FOUNDATION MATERIALS: Pier

LIGHTHOUSE MATERIALS: Inner --- Cast iron
Outer --- wooden structure sheathed in corrugated iron in 1922.

TOWER SHAPE: Original land tower was conical --- 24ft. tall / inner pier tower is conical --- 51ft. tall / outer tower is square

COLOR(S)/MARKINGS/PATTERN: Original tower was gray when it was on land, but now both structures are red.

ORIGINAL LENS: Outer light --- plastic lens / inner light (original land light) --- Sixth Order, Fresnel
(Note: The Coast Guard gave the original Sixth Order, Fresnel lens to the City of Grand Haven and replaced it with a plastic lens.)

NEAT CHARACTERISTICS: One of only four Michigan lights with a catwalk --- the other three are St. Joseph, South Haven, and Manistee.
One of the few remaining pier range light systems on the Great Lakes.