Kalamazoo River (Saugatuck) Light

1839

LAKE MICHIGAN LIGHTS

USCG PHOTO
(This is the 1859 light)

HOME

This first light was washed out by erosion and replaced in 1859.
There are buoy markers in the river, and the SS Kewatin is permanently moored here (Saugatuck).

LOCATION: At the mouth of the Kalamazoo River, SE side of Lake Michigan

CURRENT TOWER LIT: 1859

CURRENT USE: No longer standing --- destroyed by a tornado in 1956.

AUTOMATED: no

DEACTIVATED: 1915

FOUNDATION MATERIALS: Concrete

LIGHTHOUSE MATERIALS: Wood

TOWER SHAPE: Square --- 35ft. tall

COLOR(S)/MARKINGS/PATTERN: White with black lantern

ORIGINAL LENS: Sixth Order, Fresnel 1839 --- when it was deactivated, it had a bi-prismatic Fresnel lens with an oil lamp

NEAT CHARACTERISTICS: The remaining lumber from the light station was used to built a private cottage which still stands on Oval Beach.