Lansing Shoal Light

1900

LAKE MICHIGAN LIGHTS

USCG PHOTO

HOME

This site was marked by a gas buoy for several years prior to 1900 when a lightship was placed there.
Because lightships often couldn't arrive early enough in spring or remain late enough in the fall to provide adequate aid for navigation, the Lighthouse Board recommended in 1908 that a light be constructed. The lighthouse was put in place in 1928.
This station was one of the last new major offshore lights constructed on the Great Lakes.

LOCATION: In 25 feet of water, S of Lansing Shoal (40 mi. W of Straits of Mackinac), N end of Lake Michigan

CURRENT TOWER LIT: 1928

CURRENT USE: Active aid to navigation

AUTOMATED: 1976

FOUNDATION MATERIALS: Underwater Crib --- 21ft tall and Pier --- 20ft. tall and 74 ft. wide

LIGHTHOUSE MATERIALS: Reinforced concrete / steel

TOWER SHAPE: Square --- 59ft. tall

COLOR(S)/MARKINGS/PATTERN: Natural with black lantern

ORIGINAL LENS: Third Order, Fresnel 1928 --- lens was removed in 1985 and is on display at Michigan Historical Museum in Lansing. Currently a solar-powered 190mm lens lights this station.

NEAT CHARACTERISTICS: Helical bars across the glass panels of the lantern room create diamond-shaped windows.