Manistee (North Pierhead) Light

1875

LAKE MICHIGAN LIGHTS

USCG PHOTO 1
USCG PHOTO 2

HOME

This light was originally built atop the fog signal building (USCG Photo 1) with a wooden catwalk. It was then rebuilt as a tower (USCG Photo 2).

LOCATION: Outer end of N pierhead, entrance to Manistee River, E side of Lake Michigan

CURRENT TOWER LIT: 1927

CURRENT USE: Active aid to navigation

AUTOMATED: 1927

FOUNDATION MATERIALS: Pier

LIGHTHOUSE MATERIALS: Cast iron

TOWER SHAPE: Original --- Square, integral / Current --- Cylindrical, 39ft. tall

COLOR(S)/MARKINGS/PATTERN: Original --- unknown / Current --- white

ORIGINAL LENS: Fifth Order, Fresnel --- Now has a 155mm plastic lens

NEAT CHARACTERISTICS: One of only four Michigan lights with a catwalk --- the other three are St. Joseph, South Haven, and Grand Haven. The original catwalk was wooden and was battered by the elements --- it has been replaced with the current steel one and stretches about 300 yards out to the light.