McGulpins Point Light

1868

LAKE MICHIGAN LIGHTS

USCG PHOTO

HOME

This station has been a private residence for many years, but the lantern and lens have been removed from the site.

LOCATION: South point, Michilimackinac Harbor (3 mi. W of Mackinaw City), NE end of Lake Michigan

CURRENT TOWER LIT: 1869

CURRENT USE: A private residence

AUTOMATED: No

DEACTIVATED: 1906 --- replaced by the Old Mackinac Point Light

FOUNDATION MATERIALS: Natural / Emplaced

LIGHTHOUSE MATERIALS: Yellow brick

TOWER SHAPE: Octagonal --- 38ft. tall

COLOR(S)/MARKINGS/PATTERN: Natural

ORIGINAL LENS: Three and one-half Order, Fresnel --- this was a special size lens made just for Great Lakes Lights

NEAT CHARACTERISTICS: Congress originally appropriated a sum of $6,000 in 1854 for a light station at this place; however, nothing was done for more that a decade until 1866 when Congress now approved an additional sum of $20,000. Construction began in 1868 and the station was operational by 1869.