New Buffalo Light

1839

LAKE MICHIGAN LIGHTS

There are no known photos of this light

HOME

This was probably one of the most useless stations ever constructed, as it was built only because every other lake town had a light station.
This station was also plagued with both construction problems and staffing problems for its entire existence.  The reasons for its deactivation were its proximity to St. Joseph & Michigan City lights and lack of vessel traffic --- conditions that existed when it was originally built.

LOCATION: On shore at entrance to Galien River, SE end of Lake Michigan

CURRENT TOWER LIT: 1840

CURRENT USE: No longer standing and no evidence that a light was ever there

AUTOMATED: No

DEACTIVATED: 1859

FOUNDATION MATERIALS: Sand bank

LIGHTHOUSE MATERIALS: Hard brick or stone

TOWER SHAPE: Cylindrical --- 25ft. tall

COLOR(S)/MARKINGS/PATTERN: White

ORIGINAL LENS: Winslow Lewis Patent device with 11 lamps and corresponding 14" reflectors --- refitted in 1857 with Sixth Order, Fresnel