North Manitou Island Light

1898

LAKE MICHIGAN LIGHTS

USCG PHOTO 1
USCG PHOTO 2


University of Chicago Library Photo
(Lifesaving Station)

HOME

This station was established to mark the North Manitou Shoal, and a Life-Saving Station was built here as well.
The lighthouse alone was not enough, so in 1910 a lightship was added offshore by the shoal.

LOCATION: On the SE tip of North Manitou Island, E side of Lake Michigan

CURRENT TOWER LIT: 1858

CURRENT USE: No longer exists --- collapsed in 1942 after being undercut by waves and shoreline erosion

AUTOMATED: Yes

DEACTIVATED: 1935 --- replaced by a permanent light on the shoal itself.

FOUNDATION MATERIALS: Emplaced

LIGHTHOUSE MATERIALS: Wood

TOWER SHAPE: Square --- 50ft. tall

COLOR(S)/MARKINGS/PATTERN: White with black lantern

ORIGINAL LENS: Fourth Order, Fresnel --- moved to North Manitou Shoal Light in 1935

NEAT CHARACTERISTICS: This site also had a red-brick duplex for the keeper's dwelling, a barn, an oil house, and a steam-powered fog signal building.
North Manitou Island itself is 15,000 acres of undeveloped wilderness that is part of Sleeping Bear Dunes National Lakeshore and is administered by the National Park Service.