Old Mission Peninsula Light

1870

LAKE MICHIGAN LIGHTS

USCG PHOTO

HOME

Congress approved funds for this light in 1859, but the Civil War and such delayed construction until 1870.

LOCATION: Northern tip of peninsula which divides Grand Traverse Bay into its East and West arms, NE end of Lake Michigan

CURRENT TOWER LIT: 1870

CURRENT USE: Maintained by Peninsula Township and used as a private residence for township employees.

AUTOMATED: Yes

DEACTIVATED: 1933 --- Purchased by the State of Michigan after World War II in order to create a park there

FOUNDATION MATERIALS: Natural / Emplaced

LIGHTHOUSE MATERIALS: Wood

TOWER SHAPE: Square tower on dwelling --- 33ft. tall

COLOR(S)/MARKINGS/PATTERN: White with black trim

ORIGINAL LENS: Fifth Order, Fresnel 1870 --- the lens has been removed from the lighthouse.

NEAT CHARACTERISTICS: This peninsula got its name from the Peter Dougherty Mission that was established here in 1839.
The Old Mission Peninsula Light is located almost exactly on the 45th parallel of latitude (which is halfway between the Equator and the North Pole).