Sand Point (Escanaba) Light

1867

LAKE MICHIGAN LIGHTS

Michigan Center for Geographic Information Photo
(This photo is the restored lighthouse)

HOME

This light has had many renovations. The first was due to a tragic fire in 1886 which gutted the keeper's dwelling and took the life of its first keeper, Mary Terry, who had tended the light for 18 years.

LOCATION: Escanaba shorefront, W side of Little Bay de Noc, NW side of Lake Michigan

CURRENT TOWER LIT: 1867

CURRENT USE: Now operated as a museum by the Delta County Historical Society

AUTOMATED: No

DEACTIVATED: 1939 --- replaced by the Escanaba Light which is located just offshore in the harbor waters

FOUNDATION MATERIALS: Natural /Emplaced

LIGHTHOUSE MATERIALS: Brick

TOWER SHAPE: Square with octagonal lantern room

COLOR(S)/MARKINGS/PATTERN: White with black lantern

ORIGINAL LENS: Fourth Order, Fresnel 1868 --- currently the tower houses the Fourth Order, Fresnel 1874 lens from the Poverty Island Light

NEAT CHARACTERISTICS: 53 years after its fire repair, the Coast Guard shut down the light and turned it into a private residence for Coast Guard personnel. Then in 1985 the Delta County Historical Society took over the light and used century old blueprints to restore this light to its original look. They were able to complete the task with the parapet and lens from the Poverty Island Light which were literally lying on the ground by that light. The museum officially opened in July, 1990 and is open Memorial Day thru Labor Day. For off-season tours, contact: Sand Point Lighthouse, P.O. Box 1776, Escanaba, MI 49829.