Seul Choix Pointe Light

1886

LAKE MICHIGAN LIGHTS

USCG PHOTO

HOME

The French name for this site means "only choice" because this harbor was the only place of refuge in this part of Lake Michigan.

A light at this station was approved in 1886, but problems acquiring the land and costs exceeding the initial bids caused the work to proceed very slowly. The light was finally put into service in 1892, but the tower had to be rebuilt and the station was not entirely complete until 1895.

LOCATION: End of Seul Choix Point, 16 mi E of Manistique, N end of Lake Michigan

CURRENT TOWER LIT: 1895

CURRENT USE: Active aid to navigation

AUTOMATED: 1972

FOUNDATION MATERIALS: Ashlar Stone

LIGHTHOUSE MATERIALS: Brick

TOWER SHAPE: Conical --- 78ft. tall

COLOR(S)/MARKINGS/PATTERN: White tower attached to red dwelling

ORIGINAL LENS: Third Order, Fresnel 1895 --- now has a modern airport beacon lens

NEAT CHARACTERISTICS: Since the mid-1970's, the Gulliver Historical Society has renovated and maintained this station in conjunction with the Department of Natural Resources. The main house contains original furnishings of the 1900's and is the site for the museum & gift shop. This light is open for tours from mid-June thru September, 7 days a week, 12noon to 4pm.
For more information write: Gulliver Historical Society, RR#1, Box 1, Gulliver, MI 49840.