South Fox Island Light

1867

LAKE MICHIGAN LIGHTS

USCG PHOTO

HOME

This light actually has two towers --- the original on built in 1868 and a second one built closer to the shoreline in 1934. Both remain standing, but all the buildings are badly deteriorated and have been boarded-up to aid in their salvation.

LOCATION: Southern tip of South Fox Island, approach to straits of Mackinac, N end of Lake Michigan

CURRENT TOWER LIT: inland --- 1868 / shoreline --- 1934

CURRENT USE: Neither tower is operational

AUTOMATED: No

DEACTIVATED: inland --- 1934 / shoreline --- unknown (still listed in 1954 light list)

FOUNDATION MATERIALS: Natural / Emplaced

LIGHTHOUSE MATERIALS: inland --- Brick / shoreline --- steel

TOWER SHAPE: inland --- Square, 39ft. tall / shoreline --- Skeletal tower, 60ft. tall

COLOR(S)/MARKINGS/PATTERN: inland --- originally yellow & now white with red trim / shoreline --- white with black lantern

ORIGINAL LENS: inland --- Fourth Order, Fresnel / shoreline --- 150mm lens

NEAT CHARACTERISTICS: This is a privately owned island, but the lights & a small parcel of land are government owned. The old lantern room and Fourth Order, Fresnel lens from the inland light were transported to the Old Presque Isle Light (on Lake Huron) in 1959 as part of that light's restoration.