South Haven South Pierhead Light

1872

LAKE MICHIGAN LIGHTS

USCG PHOTO

HOME

The first light built here in 1872 looked much different than the current structure built in 1903.
Just like many of the other pier lights (Charlevoix, Frankfort, Ludington, Pentwater, Grand Haven, Holland, & St. Joseph),
it was a "square, white, pyramidal, open-framework tower, upper part inclosed, elevated walk along pier to shore" (Light List, 1893).

LOCATION: Outer end of S Pier at Black River Entrance, SE side of Lake Michigan

CURRENT TOWER LIT: 1903

CURRENT USE: Active aid to navigation

AUTOMATED: Yes

FOUNDATION MATERIALS: Pier

LIGHTHOUSE MATERIALS: Cast iron

TOWER SHAPE: Cylindrical --- 36ft. tall

COLOR(S)/MARKINGS/PATTERN: Red with black lantern

ORIGINAL LENS: Fifth Order, Fresnel --- now has a Sixth Order glass lens

NEAT CHARACTERISTICS: One of only four Michigan lights with a catwalk --- the other three are St. Joseph, Grand Haven, and Manistee.