Squaw Island Light

1892

LAKE MICHIGAN LIGHTS

USCG PHOTO

HOME

Despite its remote location this light is one of the most architecturally beautiful lighthouses of Michigan.

LOCATION: On Squaw Island (the northernmost island in the Beaver Island archipelago), 40 mi. W of Mackinaw Bridge, NE end of Lake Michigan

CURRENT TOWER LIT: 1892

CURRENT USE: No longer in use

AUTOMATED: unknown

DEACTIVATED: 1928 --- This light was abandoned after is was deactivated; only the elements have put the light into disrepair since its remote location has protected it from the vandalism that has taken its toll on other light stations. A civic-minded volunteer carpenter stabilized the dwellings until such a time that complete restoration can take place.
It is currently privately owned and the owner has begun restoring it.

FOUNDATION MATERIALS: Natural / Emplaced

LIGHTHOUSE MATERIALS: Brick

TOWER SHAPE: Octagonal / Integral

COLOR(S)/MARKINGS/PATTERN: Red with black lantern

ORIGINAL LENS: custom-made Red Fourth Order, Fresnel

NEAT CHARACTERISTICS: Builders took great care and filled this station with small details of excellent craftsmanship, quite unusual for a light so remotely isolated and therefore unseen by most who used it for navigation. Some of these details include: delicate brick arches over the windows and white stone sills supporting them; porthole windows on the tower, connected and trimmed with a raised brick border; a wooden porch with a wood-slatted railing; and hardwood trim on the interior doors and windows.