Squaw Point Light

1897

LAKE MICHIGAN LIGHTS

Historical Collections of Great Lakes Photo

USCG PHOTO

HOME

This light has quite a history.
August 9, 1921, a forest fire damaged the house and just the free standing tower was salvaged. Then in 1963 the tower was torn down, and the light was moved to a metal pole at the point (per 1964 USCG Light List).

LOCATION: At Squaw Point, just over one mile S. of Gladstone, on Little Bay de Noc, NW side of Lake Michigan

CURRENT TOWER LIT: 1897

CURRENT USE: No longer exists

AUTOMATED: 1918

DEACTIVATED: 1993 --- an offshore buoy (appropriately named Squaw Point Lighted Buoy #12) is all that now marks this spot

FOUNDATION MATERIALS: Emplaced

LIGHTHOUSE MATERIALS: Brick

TOWER SHAPE: Octagonal (attached to, but not part of the keeper's house)

COLOR(S)/MARKINGS/PATTERN: Cream with a black lantern

ORIGINAL LENS: Fifth Order, Fresnel

NEAT CHARACTERISTICS: This light displayed a red-sector to warn incoming ships of the sand bars adjacent to the point.
As was the case in other stations, Mrs. Katherine Marvin became the 2nd keeper of this light when her husband died after only 6 months at his post.