St. Helena Island Light

1873

LAKE MICHIGAN LIGHTS

USCG PHOTO

HOME

The Great Lakes Lighthouse Keepers Association obtained the lease in 1986
and have worked on the light each summer, using Boy Scouts to assist in the restoration project.
This site is open to the public by appointment by calling 313-436-9150

LOCATION: SE point of St. Helena Island, Straits of Mackinaw, NE end of Lake Michigan

CURRENT TOWER LIT: 1873

CURRENT USE: Active aid to navigation / Educational facility

AUTOMATED: 1922

FOUNDATION MATERIALS: Limestone

LIGHTHOUSE MATERIALS: Brick

TOWER SHAPE: Conical --- 67ft. tall

COLOR(S)/MARKINGS/PATTERN: White with red lantern

ORIGINAL LENS: Three and one-half Order, Fresnel 1873 --- now has a 300mm plastic lens