St. James Harbor (Beaver Island) Light

1856

LAKE MICHIGAN LIGHTS

USCG PHOTO 1
USCG PHOTO 2

HOME

This light was established in 1856 to provide a guide to refuge for mariners during storms in this part of Lake Michigan. It was determined, however, that a taller tower with a more powerful light was needed. That structure was completed in 1870.

LOCATION: NE end of Beaver Island, NE side of St. James Harbor, NE end of Lake Michigan

CURRENT TOWER LIT: 1870

CURRENT USE: Active aid to navigation

AUTOMATED: 1927

FOUNDATION MATERIALS: unknown

LIGHTHOUSE MATERIALS: Brick

TOWER SHAPE: Cylindrical --- in 1856 it was 22 ft. tall and currently is 41 ft. tall

COLOR(S)/MARKINGS/PATTERN: originally yellow --- now white with black cast iron lantern

ORIGINAL LENS: Sixth Order, Fresnel 1856 / Fourth Order, Fresnel, 1870

NEAT CHARACTERISTICS: Only the tower remains as a lone guardian to the harbor. When Elizabeth Whitney's husband drowned trying to rescue the crew of the schooner, Thomas Howland, she became the keeper and remained until 1884 when she was appointed keeper of the Harbor Point (Little Traverse) Light.