St. Joseph Lighthouse Depot

1893

LAKE MICHIGAN LIGHTS

National Archives Photo

Current Photo

HOME

This building was used as a supply, storage, and repair facility
by the Lighthouse Service.

LOCATION: North shore, mouth of St. Joseph River, SE side of Lake Michigan

CURRENT TOWER LIT: n/a

CURRENT USE: Lighthouse Depot Brew Pub and Restaurant --- opened in Sept. 1997

DEACTIVATED: 1917 --- this facility was transferred to the Navy Department in 1918 and used by the Naval Reserves. It was next used by the Army Reserves around 1952. Then it housed the Michigan Army National Guard from 1956-1993. It sat unused until Feb. 26, 1996, when it was purchased by developers for its current use.  

FOUNDATION MATERIALS: Concrete

LIGHTHOUSE MATERIALS: Brick

TOWER SHAPE: Integral square

COLOR(S)/MARKINGS/PATTERN: Red