Waugoshance Light

1832 Lightship / 1851 Lighthouse

LAKE MICHIGAN LIGHTS

National Archives Photo

HOME

Despite being used for target practice during WWII by the United States Air Force & the Air National Guard, this light still stands. However, it has lost its iron coverings, leaving the original brick subject to the elements.

LOCATION: On a shoal NW of Waugoshance Island, 17 mi. W of Mackinaw Bridge, NE end of Lake Michigan

CURRENT TOWER LIT: 1851

CURRENT USE: No longer in use --- this light was replaced by the White Shoals Lighthouse

AUTOMATED: No

DEACTIVATED: 1910 --- abandoned in 1912. This light is one of the most endangered lights on the Great Lakes.

FOUNDATION MATERIALS: Timber crib filled with stone

LIGHTHOUSE MATERIALS: Brick --- encased with iron in 1883

TOWER SHAPE: Conical --- 76ft. tall

COLOR(S)/MARKINGS/PATTERN: Natural

ORIGINAL LENS: Fourth Order, Fresnel

NEAT CHARACTERISTICS: This was the first Great Lakes light to be constructed using a crib structure to establish the foundation.
It retains one of only three "bird-cage" style lantern rooms that were popular in the 1850's --- by the 1860's, polygonal lantern rooms became the standard design for Great Lakes lights.