White River Light

1875

LAKE MICHIGAN LIGHTS

USCG PHOTO

HOME

Congress first approved funds for a light at this station in 1866, but no work was even done until a channel was cut from the West shore of White Lake out to Lake Michigan.

LOCATION: Outer end of S pier, White Lake Channel, entrance to White Lake, E side of Lake Michigan

CURRENT TOWER LIT: 1875

CURRENT USE: Operates as a museum that is open Memorial Day thru Labor Day, 11am-5pm T-F & noon-6pm on weekends. It is also open on weekends in September, from noon-6pm.

AUTOMATED: 1945

DEACTIVATED: 1960 --- property purchased by Fruitland Township in 1966.

FOUNDATION MATERIALS: Limestone

LIGHTHOUSE MATERIALS: Brick

TOWER SHAPE: Octagonal --- 38ft. tall

COLOR(S)/MARKINGS/PATTERN: Yellow with black lantern

ORIGINAL LENS: Fourth Order, Fresnel 1875 --- light is on display in the museum.

NEAT CHARACTERISTICS: This light has white trim on the house and brick abutments that give support to the tower. This, as well as the basic house design, is much like the light at McGulpins Point.