White Shoal Light

1891

LAKE MICHIGAN LIGHTS

USCG PHOTO 1
(without bands)
USCG PHOTO 2
(with red & white bands)

HOME

This site was commissioned in 1891, but was marked with a lightship until 1910 when a lighthouse was put on site.

LOCATION: East end of White Shoal, NW of Waugoshance Island, 20 mi. W of Mackinaw Bridge, NE end of Lake Michigan

CURRENT TOWER LIT: 1910

CURRENT USE: Active aid to navigation

AUTOMATED: 1976

FOUNDATION MATERIALS: Timber Crib / Concrete Pier

LIGHTHOUSE MATERIALS: Terra Cotta / Steel with brick interior

TOWER SHAPE: Conical --- 121ft. tall

COLOR(S)/MARKINGS/PATTERN: Originally was gray with a silver-gray lantern --- now has the famous "candy-cane stripe" with a red lantern

ORIGINAL LENS: Second Order, Fresnel --- this lens was removed in 1984 and is on display at Whitefish Point Shipwreck Museum in Paradise.

NEAT CHARACTERISTICS: This light is the only "candy-cane striped" lantern on the Great Lakes. Construction of lighthouses such as this one were difficult due to the distance from shore. After leveling off the lake bottom with some type of substructure, the crib (which was built on land) was towed to the site & then sunk. Then the crib was filled and the pier structure was added. And lastly, the light tower structure was constructed atop everything.