Belle Isle Light

1882

LAKE ST. CLAIR LIGHTS

USCG PHOTO

LIGHTHOUSES OF MICHIGAN

Because it was a forbidding marsh overrun with snakes, this island was once called Snake Island --- then Detroit city officials thought it should have a more lyrical name and it became Belle Isle (after it was cleaned up, of course).

LOCATION: Southeast point of Belle Isle, Detroit River, Lake St. Clair

CURRENT TOWER LIT: 1882

CURRENT USE: This island now features a very attractive park with a zoo, an aquarium, and a museum. 

AUTOMATED: Unknown

DEACTIVATED: No longer exists --- the sturdy Victorian structure was demolished during WWII to make a place for a Coast Guard Station.

FOUNDATION MATERIALS: Concrete pier

LIGHTHOUSE MATERIALS: Brick

TOWER SHAPE: Integral square --- 40 ft. tall

COLOR(S)/MARKINGS/PATTERN: Red brick

ORIGINAL LENS: Fourth Order, Fresnel

NEAT CHARACTERISTICS: This station was very beautifully done with arches over the windows.  Notice the chimney pots at the back of the photo --- chimney pots were used for any building that had coal-burning stoves.