Detroit Lighthouse Depot

1874

LAKE ST. CLAIR LIGHTS No USCG photo available

LIGHTHOUSES OF MICHIGAN

The Lighthouse Board built the first central supply depot on the Great Lakes at Detroit.  Depots were used to store illuminating oils and equipment, buoys, lenses, fuels, and other supplies.

LOCATION: Mt. Elliot Avenue, downtown Detroit, Detroit River, Lake St. Clair

CURRENT TOWER LIT: The US Marine Hospital gave part of its property to the Treasury Department for the depot

CURRENT USE: Currently owned by the city of Detroit, which plans to make a museum

AUTOMATED: N/A

FOUNDATION MATERIALS: Concrete

LIGHTHOUSE MATERIALS: Brick

TOWER SHAPE: Three-story building measuring 40' by 60'

COLOR(S)/MARKINGS/PATTERN: Red

ORIGINAL LENS: N/A

NEAT CHARACTERISTICS: This distinctive three-story structure has a gabled roof supported by iron trusses.