Peche Island Old Rear Range Light

1908

LAKE ST. CLAIR LIGHTS

USCG PHOTO
(The tower is still in the water at Peche Island.)

LIGHTHOUSES OF MICHIGAN

This tower's foundation had been eroded away and the tower was leaning.  So, in 1982 it was decommissioned, rescued and placed in a maritime park at Marine City.  It still contains its original Sixth Order, Fresnel Lens.
Also, this island is actually in the Canadian jurisdiction of Lake St. Clair waters, but is included because the tower is sitting on US soil at Marine City.

LOCATION: Originally at Peche Island near Belle Isle, Detroit River, Lake St. Clair, Canada

CURRENT TOWER LIT: 1927

CURRENT USE: No longer in use

AUTOMATED: Yes

DEACTIVATED: 1982

FOUNDATION MATERIALS: Emplaced

LIGHTHOUSE MATERIALS: Steel

TOWER SHAPE: Conical tower with an octagonal lantern room on a square base

COLOR(S)/MARKINGS/PATTERN: White

ORIGINAL LENS: Sixth Order, Fresnel

NEAT CHARACTERISTICS: Thompson's Coast Pilot, Scott's New Coast Pilot, an 1873 atlas, and all modern books (including USCG's 2000 Light List) have Peche listed by its French name of Isle Aux Peches;  however, the Lighthouse Board and the USCG Lists (thru at least 1954) show this station as Peach Island. 
(Peches is the French word for Peach.)