William Livingstone Memorial Light

1929

LAKE ST. CLAIR LIGHTS

Library of Congress Photo

LIGHTHOUSES OF MICHIGAN

This is the only light in the United States that is constructed of marble and one of only two memorial lights in Michigan.

LOCATION: East end of Belle Isle, upper Detroit River, Lake St. Clair

CURRENT TOWER LIT: 1929

CURRENT USE: Exhibits an occulting white light, but is not intended to be an aid to navigation

AUTOMATED: N/A

FOUNDATION MATERIALS: Marble

LIGHTHOUSE MATERIALS: Marble

TOWER SHAPE: Fluted column with octagonal base --- 70 ft. tall

COLOR(S)/MARKINGS/PATTERN: White with black lantern

ORIGINAL LENS: N/A

NEAT CHARACTERISTICS: This light was built as a memorial to William Livingstone, citizen of Detroit and President of the Lake Carriers Association from 1902 - 1925.  After the light was built, the Federal government named this channel in the Detroit River after him as well.