Au Sable Light

1874

LAKE SUPERIOR LIGHTS

USCG PHOTO

HABS Sketches

HOME

This light was called Big Sable until 1910.
It was constructed to mark a dark point along Lake Superior between Whitefish Point & Grand Island Stations.

LOCATION: On Au Sable Point, 30 mi. E of Munising and 13 miles W of Grand Marias, SE side of Lake Superior

CURRENT TOWER LIT: 1874

CURRENT USE: Active aid to navigation

AUTOMATED: Solar automation in 1958

FOUNDATION MATERIALS: Wood Pilings

LIGHTHOUSE MATERIALS: Brick

TOWER SHAPE: Conical attached --- 87ft. tall

COLOR(S)/MARKINGS/PATTERN: White with black lantern

ORIGINAL LENS: Third Order, Fresnel 1874 --- lens is now on display at the National Lakeshore's Nautical and Maritime Museum in Grand Marias.

NEAT CHARACTERISTICS: The station was transferred to the National Park Service and is part of Pictured Rocks National Lakeshore. The NPS is in the process of restoring the lighthouse. It's red brick keeper's dwelling and matching fog signal building are still standing.