Copper Harbor Light

1849

LAKE SUPERIOR LIGHTS

USCG PHOTO

HOME

The 1849 tower was built 100ft. closer to the water than the present tower which was built in 1866-67;
however, the original detached keeper's house still stands nearby.

LOCATION: East point of entrance to Copper Harbor, N shore, Keweenaw Peninsula, S side of Lake Superior

CURRENT TOWER LIT: 1867

CURRENT USE: Part of Fort Wilkins State Park and used as a nautical museum

AUTOMATED: 1919

DEACTIVATED: Oct. 1883 - June, 1888 / 1933 (per USCG listing)--- property acquired by the Michigan Department of Natural Resources in 1963
Although the Main Light is deactivated, a white skeletal tower still operates at this site in the location of the original 1849 structure.

FOUNDATION MATERIALS: Dressed Stone / Timber

LIGHTHOUSE MATERIALS: Brick

TOWER SHAPE: Square integral - 62ft. tall

COLOR(S)/MARKINGS/PATTERN: Natural with black lantern

ORIGINAL LENS: Unknown, 1849 / Fresnel Lens, 1856

NEAT CHARACTERISTICS: The 1866-67 structure is a great example of the schoolhouse style lighthouse.
There is no public access road to this mainland light; therefore, the light and grounds are accessible only by boat.  Tour boats begin Memorial Day Weekend thru Sept. 30 --- for information, call 906-289-4966.