Eagle River Light

1854

LAKE SUPERIOR LIGHTS

No USCG photo available

LIGHTHOUSES OF MICHIGAN

Built to service the harbor at Eagle River due to the first extremely successful copper mine in the region called Cliff Mine.

LOCATION: Mouth of Eagle River, N shore, Keweenaw Peninsula, S side of  Lake Superior

CURRENT TOWER LIT: 1874

CURRENT USE: A private residence

AUTOMATED: No

DEACTIVATED: 1908 --- this light was too far inland to warn ships of the Eagle River Shoals, so it was replaced by the Sand Hills Light

FOUNDATION MATERIALS: Emplaced

LIGHTHOUSE MATERIALS: Stone

TOWER SHAPE: Integral square with conical tower --- 24ft.tall
(Entire structure is listed by USCG at 61 ft. above water, but actual tower is not that tall since it rises out of the structure.)

COLOR(S)/MARKINGS/PATTERN: White

ORIGINAL LENS: Lens lantern --- Sixth Order, Fresnel 1874

NEAT CHARACTERISTICS: While this light started out with a bang, Scott's New Coast Pilot (1896) stated "at the present time the dock is in a most dilapidated condition, the channel on both sides is filled with sand, and the shipping business seems to be entirely suspended."