Frying Pan Island Light

1887

LAKE SUPERIOR LIGHTS

USCG PHOTO

LIGHTHOUSES OF MICHIGAN

This light kept in line with Pipe Island Light, which is 2 miles away, forms a range system for entering and leaving Detour Passage.

LOCATION: On Frying Pan Island at the mouth of St. Mary's River, West side of Detour Passage, between Lake Superior and Lake Huron

CURRENT TOWER LIT: 190

CURRENT USE: Sits in front of the Sault Ste. Marie Coast Guard Station

AUTOMATED: Unknown

DEACTIVATED: Yes

FOUNDATION MATERIALS: Emplaced

LIGHTHOUSE MATERIALS: Cast iron

TOWER SHAPE: Conical --- 15ft. tall

COLOR(S)/MARKINGS/PATTERN: White

ORIGINAL LENS: Sixth Order, Fresnel

NEAT CHARACTERISTICS: Bulk steamers used Frying Pan Island as a coal fueling station.