Grand Island East Channel Light

1868

LAKE SUPERIOR LIGHTS

No USCG photo available

LIGHTHOUSES OF MICHIGAN

This light is in ruins and every year Lake Superior continues to weather away the wood-framed structure --- soon only pictures of this light will remain.

LOCATION: SE shore of Grand Island, N of Munising, S side of Lake Superior

CURRENT TOWER LIT: 1870

CURRENT USE: No longer in use;
the light sits on private property even though Grand Island is a designated National Recreation Area

AUTOMATED: No

DEACTIVATED: 1913 --- replaced by the Range Lights installed at Munising in 1908

FOUNDATION MATERIALS: Stone

LIGHTHOUSE MATERIALS: Wood

TOWER SHAPE: Attached square

COLOR(S)/MARKINGS/PATTERN: gray

ORIGINAL LENS: Unknown

NEAT CHARACTERISTICS: Of the many "schoolhouse" type lights, this was the only one built out of wood on the rugged shores of Lake Superior.  The others were built out of brick or granite.