Grand Island North (Old North) Light

1855

LAKE SUPERIOR LIGHTS

USCG PHOTO

LIGHTHOUSES OF MICHIGAN

The original wooden structure here was only 40ft. tall, but produced a focal plane of 204ft. above Lake Superior because the tower was built on a high bluff.  It is still one of the highest lights on the Great Lakes.

LOCATION: NW point of Grand Island, N of Munising, S side of Lake Superior

CURRENT TOWER LIT: 1867

CURRENT USE: No longer in use

AUTOMATED: 1961

DEACTIVATED: 1961 --- replaced by an automatic beacon

FOUNDATION MATERIALS: Emplaced

LIGHTHOUSE MATERIALS: Wood

TOWER SHAPE: Attached square --- 40ft. tall

COLOR(S)/MARKINGS/PATTERN: White

ORIGINAL LENS: Unknown (The lamps used kerosene from 1870's until 1920 when they were converted to acetylene gas.)

NEAT CHARACTERISTICS: In 1990 the Federal government purchased Grand Island, but all buildings (except the Ranger Station) are still privately owned.
For more information on Grand Island, write:
Hiawatha National Forest, Munising Ranger District, 400 E. Munising Ave., Munising, MI  49862

You can also see Grand Island on one of the two Pictured Rocks Cruises that run daily from June to October.  For information write or call:  Pictured Rocks Cruises, P.O. Box 355, Munising, MI  49862,  906-387-2379.