Grand Island Harbor Range Rear Light

1868

LAKE SUPERIOR LIGHTS

No USCG photo available

LIGHTHOUSES OF MICHIGAN

This light and its partner, the front range light, guided vessels into the West channel of Grand Island Harbor.

LOCATION: West side of entrance to Munising Harbor, S side of Lake Superior

CURRENT TOWER LIT: 1914

CURRENT USE: No longer in use; transferred to the U.S. Forest Service in 1977

AUTOMATED: Yes

DEACTIVATED: 1969

FOUNDATION MATERIALS: Pier

LIGHTHOUSE MATERIALS: Wood

TOWER SHAPE: Integral square --- 32ft. tall

COLOR(S)/MARKINGS/PATTERN: White

ORIGINAL LENS: Lens lantern

NEAT CHARACTERISTICS: When this light was rebuilt in 1914 as a steel tower, the top part came from another location near the Soo Locks --- this made the light 64ft.tall, with the bottom 32ft. being black & the top 32ft. being white with a black lantern.