Granite Island Light

1867

LAKE SUPERIOR LIGHTS

USCG PHOTO

LIGHTHOUSES OF MICHIGAN

The 1866 Lighthouse Board Report noted the need for a light on this island and Congress finally designated the funds on March 2, 1867.

One of the major construction problems was blasting away granite from the top of the approximate 1 acre island to make a flat foundation site for the lighthouse.

LOCATION: NW end of Granite Island, 11 mi. North of Marquette,  S side of Lake Superior

CURRENT TOWER LIT: 1868

CURRENT USE: No longer in use

AUTOMATED: 1939

DEACTIVATED: 1939 --- replaced by an automatic beacon on a pole next to the original light tower

FOUNDATION MATERIALS: Rock

LIGHTHOUSE MATERIALS: Granite

TOWER SHAPE: Attached Square --- 40ft. tall

COLOR(S)/MARKINGS/PATTERN: Natural with black lantern

ORIGINAL LENS: Fourth Order, Fresnel 1869

NEAT CHARACTERISTICS: This "schoolhouse" type of light was common on Lake Superior, but the materials used to build each one differs:  wood like Grand Island East Channel, brick like Grand Island North, and cut granite for this one.