Manitou Island Light

1849

LAKE SUPERIOR LIGHTS

USCG PHOTO

LIGHTHOUSES OF MICHIGAN

Though most books and the current USCG Website list this station as being established in 1850, the Light House Board Light Lists of 1858 and 1893 say Manitou Island was built in 1849.

LOCATION: East point of Manitou Island, off N shore of Keweenaw Peninsula, S side of Lake Superior

CURRENT TOWER LIT: 1861

CURRENT USE: Active aid to navigation

AUTOMATED: Yes

FOUNDATION MATERIALS: Unknown, but destroyed by erosion

LIGHTHOUSE MATERIALS: Iron

TOWER SHAPE: Skeletal with central column --- 60 ft. tall

COLOR(S)/MARKINGS/PATTERN: Gray (1858 Light List)

ORIGINAL LENS: The 1858 Light List has a Fourth Order, Fresnel --- the 1893 Light List has a Third Order, Fresnel (by Henri Le Paute with six separate panels) --- in 1935 another Third Order, Fresnel by Barbier & Co. of Paris was put in this lighthouse, but it only has four separate panels

NEAT CHARACTERISTICS: This station was rebuilt in 1861, as was Whitefish Point, and both are the oldest iron skeletal towers on the Great Lakes.